The US military is prepared to launch military action against Iran as early as this weekend, according to sources familiar with the matter cited by CNN and multiple US media outlets, though President Donald Trump has yet to make a final decision.
Sources said the White House has been briefed that the military is ready to strike over the weekend, following a significant buildup of US forces in the Middle East in recent days. Trump has privately debated the pros and cons of military action and has consulted advisors and allies on the best course of action. It remains unclear whether he will make a decision before the weekend.
According to sources, if the US proceeds with military action against Iran, it would likely be a large-scale campaign lasting several weeks. The US and Israel would probably conduct joint operations on a scale far larger than the "12-day war" in June of last year. Such an operation would pose a more "existential threat" to Iran and have far-reaching implications for the entire region.
Analysts note that while both sides described recent talks in Geneva on Feb. 17 as "productive," significant differences remain. At this point, a deal appears unlikely. Trump's escalating rhetoric and military posture also make it difficult for him to back down without major concessions from Tehran. His advisors believe the extensive US military deployment in the region is not a "bluff."
The US currently has one aircraft carrier strike group deployed in the Middle East, with a second on the way. More than a dozen other warships, hundreds of fighter jets, and multiple air defense systems are also in place. Over 150 military transport aircraft sorties have been used to move equipment and ammunition into the region.
Israeli sources said on Feb. 17 that Israel believes the US-Iran talks have entered a "critical phase" and, given the "clear differences" between the two sides, is preparing for a "collapse of the negotiations."
(Sources: CCTV News, CNN)
Related News:
US Senate fails to advance homeland security funding bill: Agency faces shutdown
Harvard and Yale professors linked to Epstein case amid new revelations
Comment