Two people died and 12 others were injured after a 6.5-magnitude earthquake struck southern Mexico on Friday (Jan. 2), local authorities said.
A 50-year-old woman was killed after her home collapsed in the state of Guerrero, the epicenter of the earthquake, said Evelyn Salgado, the state's governor.
In addition, a man in his 60s died after stumbling and losing consciousness in Benito Juarez municipality, Mexico City, during an evacuation prompted by the earthquake, an official statement from the municipality showed.
Clara Brugada, head of government of Mexico City, said on X that after activating the earthquake response protocol, the latest report indicated 12 people injured, as well as 18 complaints due to a lack of electrical supply in various neighborhoods.
She added that two structures were being evaluated for risk of collapse, and 34 buildings and five homes were being inspected as a preventive measure.
Mexico's National Seismological Service said the quake occurred at 7:58 a.m. local time (1358 GMT), with the epicenter located about 4 km southwest of San Marcos in the southern state of Guerrero, at a depth of approximately 5 km.
In Mexico City, loudspeakers on the streets broadcast a seismic alert several seconds before the tremors were felt.
(Source: Xinhua)
Related News:
Watch This | Tragic Swiss ski resort bar fire claims 40 lives, no indication of terrorism so far
Sculpture of Trump in prison jumpsuit, bound to cross, sparks debate in Switzerland
Comment