Shenzhen makes 5 historic leaps forward in 40 years: Xi
Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday (Oct. 14) said Shenzhen has made five historic leaps forward since the establishment of the special economic zone (SEZ) 40 years ago.
Xi, also general secretary of the Communist Party of China Central Committee and chairman of the Central Military Commission, made the remarks while addressing a grand gathering marking the 40th anniversary of the Shenzhen SEZ.
According to Xi, the five historic leaps have seen Shenzhen change:
- From a small backward border town to an international metropolis with global influence;
- From implementing economic system reforms to deepening reform in all respects;
- From mainly developing foreign trade to pursuing high-level opening up in an all-round way;
- From advancing economic development to coordinating socialist material, political, cultural and ethical, social and ecological advancement;
- From ensuring that people's basic needs are met to completing the building of a high-quality moderately prosperous society in all respects.
Urging Shenzhen to expand all-round opening up
Shenzhen should accelerate advancing opening up with institutional guarantees such as rules and norms, Xi made the remarks at the gathering.
Xi called for efforts to explore a more flexible policy system and a more scientific management system in terms of domestic and foreign trade, investment and financing, finance and taxation, financial innovation, as well as personnel exit and entry.
Hailing establishment of SEZ "great innovative move"
The establishment of SEZ is a great innovative move made by the Communist Party of China and the country in advancing reform and opening up as well as socialist modernization, Xi said at the gathering.
(Source: Xinhua News Agency)