The Hong Kong government has successfully acquired the television broadcasting rights for the Paris Olympics and Paralympics, allowing all Hong Kong citizens to watch the events for free on television, Chief Executive John Lee said at a press conference today (April 9).
Lee stated that the Leisure and Cultural Services Department has reached agreements with three free-to-air broadcasters, namely TVB, ViuTV, HoyTV, and also Radio Television Hong Kong (RTHK), regarding the television broadcast of the Olympics and Paralympics. The details will be announced after the arrangements are finalized.
Lee mentioned that the contract for purchasing the broadcasting rights contains confidentiality clauses.
He emphasized that the cost of acquiring broadcasting rights is lower compared to previous instances, such as the Tokyo Olympics and the expenses incurred by commercial entities.
"I believe the cost is reasonable and worth the value," he said.
As of last month, Hong Kong athletes have secured qualifications to participate in 15 events at the Paris Olympics and 12 events at the Paris Paralympics. Lee expressed confidence that Hong Kong athletes will strive for more qualifications in the next two months.
Comment